Ukraine security forces regain control of Crimea airports

February 28, 2014 | By | Reply More

Feb 28, – Ukraine security sources say they have regained control of two airports amid claims Russian forces tried to seize them. Earlier Ukraine’s interior minister accused Russian forces of staging an “armed invasion” in Crimea, something Russia has firmly denied.

hromedia Ukraine security forces regain control of Crimea airports eu news2The accusations came after armed men were seen patrolling the perimeter at the Simferopol airport. There were also reports that Russian forces were blocking an airport in Sevastopol.

More than 10 Russian military helicopters have also flown from Russia into Ukrainian airspace over the Crimea region, the Ukrainian border guard service said. Reacting to the reports, Interior minister Arsen Avakov said: “I consider what is happening to be an armed invasion and an occupation.”

However, Ukraine’s security authorities later said they had regained control of the two airports.

“There was an attempt to seize the airports, but we have localised those attempts,” Ukraine’s National Security and Defence Council chief Andriy Parubiy said. “The airports are now controlled by Ukrainian law enforcement authorities.”

The accusations come a day after dozens of pro-Moscow gunmen seized government buildings in the Crimean capital of Simferopol.

These included the regional parliament, which subsequently voted to hold a referendum on May 25 to expand the region’s autonomy from Kiev.

France, Germany and Poland said that they were “very worried” by events in Crimea and urged all parties to refrain from any action endangering Ukraine’s territorial integrity.

Meanwhile, Ukraine’s acting president has dismissed the head of the country’s armed forces.

Admiral Yuriy Ilyin had been appointed at the height of protests against President Viktor Yanukovich, who was ousted last Saturday.

No reason was given for his dismissal in a brief statement on the presidential website. It has also emerged that Swiss prosecutors have launched a money-laundering probe against Mr Yanukovych and his son Aleksander.

Press coordinator for HRO media – Norberto Lluch contributed to this report

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: European Crises

Leave a Reply