Plane that crashed in Mumbai, killing 5, was under repair

June 29, 2018 | By | Reply More

An aviation company official says the plane that crashed in India’s financial capital of Mumbai, killing five people, was not certified as airworthy and was undergoing major repairs after an earlier crash.

Plane that crashed in Mumbai, killing 5, was under repairAnil Chauhan, a manager at UY Aviation, which owned the small King Air C90, said the plane was on a test flight when it crashed Thursday.

Chauhan told news channel Friday the aircraft had not yet been handed over to the company and did not have a certificate of airworthiness. The plane had been damaged in a crash six years ago while it was owned by a state government.

A civil aviation ministry team examined the crash site where two pilots, two flight technicians and one person at the construction site were killed.

The plane took off for its 50-minute test flight a little after noon from the Juhu airstrip after a puja, with engineers cheering its take-off. At a height of around 700 feet, the plane was hit by a snag.

A test flight was aborted yesterday as the runway was filled with water. It was to be aborted again today, due to bad weather. The flight could have been avoided. Haste, if any, was wrong, lives could have been saved,” he said, adding that he had texted his wife to ask if she had landed or not and then learnt what had happened from TV.

“It should be the weather, or a snag. The plane was damaged, they got it repaired. Got to know that pilots tried a lot to save the flight, they crashed before they could complete emergency landing,” said Mr Kuthariya.

Captain Zuberi and her co-pilot Captain Pradeep Rajput had, in their last moments, been able to avoid a school and several high-rises before crashing into a construction site.

The two others on the plane were maintenance engineers Surabhi Gupta and Manish Pandey.

The privately-owned plane, a 12-seater, was sold by the Uttar Pradesh government in 2014. It had been grounded and was sitting in a hangar since an accident on February 22, 2008, according to UP officials. The aircraft skidded off the runway while landing in Allahabad. As the UP government tried to sell it in auctions, the tender document made it clear it was not in serviceable condition.

Press journalist for HRO media – Ignacio Damigo reports.

Tags: , ,

Category: International

Leave a Reply