Death toll rises to 48 as deadly double blasts Rock Egyptian church

April 9, 2017 | By | Reply More

At least 48 people were killed and more than 150 injured in double blast in front of a Christian church in Alexandria and the second blast in the Nile Delta city of Tanta.

churchIslamic State claimed responsibility for both attacks, via its Amaq press agency. “A group that belongs to Islamic State carried out the two attacks on the churches in the cities of Tanta and Alexandria,” Amaq said.

ISIS also threatened that there would be more attacks against Egyptian Christians, saying in an online statement carried by Amaq, “Let the crusaders and apostates know that they will pay a huge bill with their son’s blood.”

The Coptic Pope Tawadros II had been leading the ceremony, but reportedly left the church before the blast occurred.

Tawadros said afterward, “These sinful acts will not undermine the unity of Egyptians against terrorism.”

U.S. President Donald Trump tweeted: “So sad to hear of the terrorist attack in Egypt. U.S. strongly condemns. I have great confidence that President Al Sisi will handle situation properly.”

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sissi said in a statement he had ordered the immediate deployment of soldiers to assist police in protecting “vital facilities” across the country.

He condemned the attacks and summoned the National Defense Council to an urgent session. According to local reports, he also announced three days of national mourning.

Press journalist for HRO media – Khizer Hayat reports.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: Arab uprising

Leave a Reply