Boko Haram kill 30 in twin suicide attacks in Nigeria

December 9, 2016 | By | Reply More

Two female suicide bombers struck at a busy market in Nigeria on Friday, killing at least 30 people, the military said, in the latest bloodshed to hit the country’s restive northeast.

suicide bombersThe attack on Madagali, which was recaptured by Nigerian forces from Boko Haram jihadists in 2015, was the third time the town has been targeted since December last year when two female suicide bombers killed scores.

A local government official and the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed the attack.

While there was no immediate claim of responsibility, the blasts bore all the hallmarks of Boko Haram, which regularly uses women and young girls to carry out suicide attacks in its seven-year insurgent campaign in the troubled region.

– ‘Under control’ –

Market trader Habu Ahmad said the blasts happened around 9:30 am (0830 GMT).

“We heard there was a twin-blast in a market at Madagali this morning.”We still don’t have details of casualties.”

He said security agents had cordoned off the scene of the explosions.

President Buhari had told a security conference in Senegal on Wednesday that the situation in the region was “under control”.

Boko Haram is seeking to impose a hardline Islamic legal system on Nigeria’s mainly-Muslim north. Its campaign of violence has killed at least 20,000 people and displaced some 2.6 million since 2009.

Nigeria’s military campaign against the jihadists is increasingly bogged down as it confronts suicide attacks, looting and indiscriminate slaughter.

The United Nations has warned that the affected region faces the “largest crisis in Africa”.

The UN estimates that 14 million people will need outside help in 2017 because of the ongoing violence, particularly in Borno State, the epicentre of the rebellion.

Press journalist for HRO media – Ignacio Damigo reports.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Category: International

Leave a Reply