UN envoy warns Aleppo risks becoming one giant graveyard

November 30, 2016 | By | Reply More

A top UN envoy on Wednesday pleaded with the Security Council to help break the siege of Aleppo, warning that residents of the Syrian city were at risk of extermination.

UN envoy warns Aleppo “For the sake of humanity we call on – we plead — with the parties and those with influence to do everything in their power to protect civilians and enable access to the besieged part of eastern Aleppo before it becomes one giant graveyard,” said Stephen O’Brien, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs.

O’Brien, speaking to a special Security Council session by video-link from London, said that the clock was ticking on the city as the winter set in.

Residents have been reduced to scavenging for food, hospitals are not functioning after repeated military strikes and an estimated 25,000 people have fled eastern Aleppo since Saturday alone, O’Brien said.

O’Brien said that aid convoys were ready to roll in from Turkey and western Aleppo but that they needed an end to the siege and protection for civilians.

The eastern part of Aleppo has been a key rebel stronghold since 2012, with government forces determined to wrest control.

More than 250,000 people had been living in the eastern neighborhoods when the government laid siege four months ago.

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has enjoyed diplomatic support from Russia, which has also intervened militarily to boost the campaign for Aleppo.

O’Brien said he faced the persistent question as he traveled — “Why on Earth can the Security Council not come together to unite to put a stop to this suffering?”

“The people of Syria have suffered far too much for far too long,” he said.

He urged the Security Council not to lose sight of another 700,000 people besieged in other areas, notably around Damascus.

Press journalist for HRO media – Khizer Hayat reports.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Arab uprising

Leave a Reply