At least 10 people believed killed by Italian earthquake

August 24, 2016 | By | Reply More

Aug 24, – Numerous buildings collapsed in small communities close to the epicentre of the quake in a remote, thinly-populated area straddling the regions of Umbria, Marche and Lazio.

Italian earthquakeA powerful 6.2-magnitude earthquake struck central Italy in the early hours of Wednesday, devastating mountain villages and leaving at least 10 people dead.

As dawn broke, residents and emergency services were scrambling to rescue people trapped in rubble. Local officials indicated that the death toll was likely to rise.

Fabrizio Curcio, the head of Italy’s civil protection service, classed the quake as “severe”. The shocks were strong enough to wake residents of central Rome, some 150 kilometres (90 miles) away.

The first two confirmed victims were an elderly couple whose home collapsed in Pescara del Tronto in the Marche region, according to local police.

Aleandro Petrucci, the mayor of nearby Arquata del Tronto, said Pescara was one of “two or three hamlets that have just completely disintegrated.”

Another person died and a family of four including two young children were trapped, feared dead, in their collapsed house in Accumoli, according to its mayor.

“We have a tragedy here,” the mayor, Stefano Petrucci, said. “For the moment one death is confirmed but there are another four people under the rubble and they are not responding.

“It is a disaster, we have no light, no telephones, the rescue services have not got here yet.”

A resident of the village told Rai that she had been woken by the shaking in time to witness the wall of her bedroom cracking open. She was able to escape into the street with her children.

Press journalist for HRO media – Ignacio Damigo reports.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Category: European Crises

Leave a Reply