Syria missile strikes Aleppo put toll put at 58

February 24, 2013 | By More

Beirut: Three surface-to-surface missiles fired by Syrian regime forces in the northern city
of Aleppo have left 58 people dead, among them 36 children, a watchdog said on Sunday,
updating an earlier toll.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights revised its toll upwards after more bodies of women
and children were removed from the rubble in Aleppo’s Tariq Al Bab district, which was struck
by the powerful missiles on Friday.

Activists say the missiles were fired from army base 155 near Damascus, though their reports
could not be independently verified.

A security official in Damascus said late last year the Syrian regime has developed its own
version of the Scud, while Nato has since reported the use of ballistic missiles in the country.

According to the Observatory, the army’s use of the missiles is part of a bid to overrun
neighborhoods east of Aleppo, which are almost completely under rebel control.

On Saturday, US State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland condemned the missile
strikes, saying they were “the latest demonstrations of the Syrian regime’s ruthlessness and its
lack of compassion for the Syrian people it claims to represent.”

At least 110 people were killed on Saturday nationwide — 46 civilians, 35 rebels and 29
soldiers, the Observatory said.

The almost two-year conflict has cost the lives of more than 70,000 people according to the UN.

Category: Arab uprising

Comments are closed.